Hello friend, I am Timothy Kimo Brien, head instigator at Create Art Podcast where we help you to tame the inner critic and create more than we consume. Every year in April National Poetry Writing Month occurs, this is a challenge to write 30 poems in 30 days and comes from the NaPoWriMo site. When you participate you are given a prompt every day for 30 days and you can choose to follow the prompt or not. Each prompt has a commentary with it and a style of poetry that you may not be familiar with. I enjoy it because it stretches my creative muscles and helps me organize my thoughts. I also really enjoy a good challenge. There is also an opportunity to read other people’s work as they post on their websites and for you to comment on their work, giving them encouragement or offering a suggestion. Care to join me on this journey?
Day 10 Prompt
- First, find a song with which you are familiar – it could be a favorite song of yours or one that just evokes memories of your past. Listen to the song and take notes as you do, without overthinking it or worrying about your notes making sense.
- Next, rifle through the objects in your junk drawer – or wherever you keep loose odds and ends that don’t have a place otherwise. (Mine contains picture-hanging wire, stamps, rubber bands, and two unfinished wooden spoons I started whittling four years ago after taking a spoon-making class). On a separate page from your song-notes page, write about the objects in the drawer, for as long as you care to.
- Now, bring your two pages of notes together and write a poem that weaves together your ideas and observations from both pages.
Day 10 Poem
Pulling the platter out of its sleeve
My old friend begins his meditation
I move the arm over and nirvana is soon promised
There is no movement
There is no sound
Devastation on a Sunday mornings rest
I being to weep
Is there no justice in the world
Is there nothing to spare me
I look to the side
And see the treasure chest
Full of discarded dreams
Sifting through the wires
And connectors of dead technology
I find the connection that promises resolution
The power flows through these metallic veins
The disc begins to turn
Warm tones flow out of the horns
The meditation begins
Sounds from the outside recede
And I am renewed for another week.
To reach out to me, email email@example.com I would love to hear about your journey and what you are working on. If you would like to be on the show or have me discuss a topic that is giving you trouble write in and lets start that conversation.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- YouTube Channel: Create Art Podcast YT Channel
- IG: @createartpodcast
- Twitter: @createartpod
- Mighty Networks: Create Art Podcast