Mastering the Art of Time: Harnessing Temporality in Your Creative Process
Time is both a constraint and a canvas for artists. Embracing the temporality of your artistic practice can lead to new dimensions of creativity and meaning. Whether you’re using time as a source of inspiration, managing it in your creative process, or considering how it shapes the perception of your art, understanding and harnessing the power of time can elevate your artistic practice to new heights. My wife gave me a box of cards for the holidays in 2022. I was puzzled because they were creativity cards and I thought, what the heck is this, I don’t need them. Well, folks, I was wrong and I will attempt to do a card a week and record an episode about how I am utilizing the card I draw every week if you decide to pick up a deck and do these let me know.
Links on Time
Points to Consider
- Time as a Muse
- The Creative Process and Time
- Research and Preparation
- Editing and Refining
- Deadlines and Pressure
- Time and Perception
- Visual Arts: Paintings and sculptures freeze a moment in time, allowing viewers to explore the details and emotions within that frozen moment. Time is suspended, inviting contemplation.
- Music: Music is a temporal art form, unfolding over time. The pacing, rhythm, and structure of a musical piece can evoke a wide range of emotions and create a sense of narrative.
- Literature: In literature, the author controls the flow of time through words. They can speed up or slow down the reader’s experience, creating tension or conveying a sense of time passing.
- Performance Arts: Dance, theater, and performance art are immediate and ephemeral, happening in real time. The audience experiences these forms of art as they unfold, with no opportunity for rewind or pause.
The Kernal of Time
Choose what to do with time, the most exquisite gift you have in your possession.
Time The part of existence that is measured in minutes, days, years, etc., or this process is considered as a whole, the system of recording hours used in different parts of the world Source Cambridge Dictionary
- Disengage from your responsibilities, and disconnect from your devices for fifteen minutes a day for one week. Wake up just a little bit earlier to paint, write, design, compose, or craft as your heart desires.
- What is one legacy you want to leave your family and friends, or organizations? Post it on a white note card you pin up prominently in your space, and begin dedicating fifteen minutes each day to making it happen.
- Right now, pull one red action card and one blue intention card. Take fifteen minutes to create something that combines the two.
Sign Up for the Create Art Podcast Newsletter
Reach Out To The Podcast
To reach out to me, email email@example.com I would love to hear about your journey and what you are working on. If you would like to be on the show or have me discuss a topic that is giving you trouble write in and let’s start that conversation.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- YouTube Channel: Create Art Podcast YT Channel
- IG: @createartpodcast
- Twitter: @createartpod
- If you have found value in this podcast, please share it with a friend as that is the best way to discover new podcasts. I want this to be a 5-star podcast in your eyes so let me know what you would like to see.
- Speaking about sharing with a friend, check out my other podcast Find A Podcast About where I help you outsmart the algorithm and find your next binge-worthy podcast. You can find that podcast at findapodcastabout.xyz.
- I am trying to utilize YouTube more, so make sure to check out my YouTube Channel to see me doing the episodes right in front of you.